[rescue] Sun drivers/info for Pixar graphics system?

Joshua D Boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Nov 9 11:09:27 CST 2001

On Fri, Nov 09, 2001 at 11:15:09AM -0500, Corda Albert J DLVA wrote:
> Has anyone played with one of these? I haven't been
> able to find any drivers/softare/docs on the web...(any
> pointers?)

This machine is called the Pixar Image Computer (PIC).  I'm not sure from
your description if it is a PIC1 or PIC2.  The PIC1 has to be used with a
Sun or Symbolics or SGI machine.  A PIC2 can work as a standalone
workstation to my understanding.  There are a few people out there who
might be able to provide help.  I know that there was a SCSI controller,
though I imagine it was optional.

If you aren't into serious low level graphics hacking, it probably isn't
worth much to you.  Good luck trying to find software or docs.  People who
used them aren't to hard to find though, and I know that there are still a
few in use, mainly at medical institutions though.

> I'm considering getting this critter, but before I do
> I wanted to see if I had a wisp of a chance of actually
> getting it to work... Ideally, I'd just like to get
> the Pixar cardcage/interface and (hopefully) install it
> in my sun 4/670, rather than the sun3 box, but if no
> software or docs exist, then it may not be worth it.  The
> vendor who has it thinks he has a valuable piece of
> equipment, but I don't want to try haggling with him
> if it's just going to sit in my house looking
> impressive-but-nonfunctional...

Please, please, please get it.  There aren't many of those left.  It
probably isn't worth too much.  Where are you located anyway?  I would
love that machine, even if it has to sit around for a few years before I
can get the rest of the hardware/software needed.  I also would be willing
to pay some semi decent cash for it, but I have no idea what the seller is
likely to want for it.

--
Joshua D. Boyd