[rescue] Sun drivers/info for Pixar graphics system?

Corda Albert J DLVA rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Nov 9 10:15:09 CST 2001

I was rooting around at a couple of used computer
stores yesterday and ran across something interesting...
A large (rack mountable) granite-colored box with
the logo PIXAR on the front. (it looks _very_ neat!
an impressive case design for what appears to be
a box of 1980's vintage). The box has a 9U VME
formfactor cardcage in back with BNC video connectors
on one card, and 4 interface cables of various connector
types on another card. The label on the back
indicates it's a PIXAR model 820204. A little more
digging located a rack-mount sun3 box with a 9U vme
card that seems to be the host interface for this critter.
Unfortunately, the vendor trashed the SMD drives that
came with this critter, so recovering the original
software load is hopeless...

Has anyone played with one of these? I haven't been
able to find any drivers/softare/docs on the web...(any
pointers?)

I'm considering getting this critter, but before I do
I wanted to see if I had a wisp of a chance of actually
getting it to work... Ideally, I'd just like to get
the Pixar cardcage/interface and (hopefully) install it
in my sun 4/670, rather than the sun3 box, but if no
software or docs exist, then it may not be worth it.  The
vendor who has it thinks he has a valuable piece of
equipment, but I don't want to try haggling with him
if it's just going to sit in my house looking
impressive-but-nonfunctional...

-al-
-acorda at 1bigred.com