[rescue] AIX 3 bits?

BSD Bob the old greybeard BSD freak rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Nov 9 09:04:29 CST 2001

>  >Along the same lines, anyone got a spare RS6000 keyboard and 3 button
>  >mouse, floating about in the bilges? I could use them, if they are
>  >still floating about. The RS6000 keyboard will have a speaker underneath
>  >and a CNTL/ACTION key rather than the no speaker and ALT key found on
>  >peecee keyboards of the Big Blue type.
> I didn't know they were different.  There's a 43P at work which is now on
> my desk, I just used a regular PeeCee keyboard and mouse on it, no problems
> at all.  Took me a while to find out how to interrupt the boot sequence so
> I could reinstall it.  Only problem is that 4.3.3 uses CDE and it doesn't
> look sufficiently different to Solaris x86 that anyone notices, so I miss
> out on the "cool" factor.

A regular peecee keyboard and mouse will work after installation.
DURING installation, it requires a real rs6000 keyboard, because it
loads those codes originally.  Once the system is up and running,
the peecee stuff works fine.  IBM calls that a feature, not a bug, right?
That applies to the 7011, 7012 things, in my hands... dunno about the
43P.  If you know of a way to make the peecee keyboards work on the
7011/7012 things for install, do holler.

(:+}}...

Bob