[rescue] nfs trouble

Joshua D Boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Nov 8 22:32:28 CST 2001

Argh.  I'm such an idiot.

So, I'm logged in as root to a linux file server.  /export is a disk.  I'm
attempting to mount that disk via loopback to /mnt/olddisk.

So, in my exports file, I have the following line:
/export	*(rw)
I know.  Horribly insecure.  I've restarted nfs, and outright rebooted the
computer.  Yet, when I issue the command mount 192.168.0.11:export
/mnt/olddisk, I am told permision denied.

How can this be?  I am logged in as root.  Root owns /export.  Root owns
/mnt and /mnt/olddisk.  And the most permissive line possible is in the
exports file, and NFS has been forced to read the file.

Are there any simpler protocols to admin that NFS?  Getting and keeping
samba working was no where near this hard.  At times I'm tempted to just
use SMB for file sharing between unix systems.

--
Joshua D. Boyd