[rescue] Odd DNS problem with Solaris 8

Derrick Daugherty rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Nov 8 16:57:18 CST 2001

It's rumored that around Thu, Nov 08, 2001 at 03:45:10PM -0500
Mike Nicewonger <twmaster at twmaster.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Got a weird one here. I have a Laptop running Solaris 8 that I use as my
> upstairs surf and email machine. Almost everytime I surf the web with it I get
> this annoying issue, I'll visit a web site page, it loads fine, I'll click on a
> link to another page within the same website and I'll get a DNS error, page
> cannot be found thing in my browser window. hit refresh, the page comes right
> up. this happens about 60% of the time while on any given web site. If I click
> a link outside that site the page ALWAYS come up fine.

Hmm..this sounds like either a proxy issue or a PMTU-D issue.  Do you
have a firewall inbetween?  Does it filter icmp?  Do you have funky
links between your laptop and source to the net?  Like eth to another
box which slips to another then goes back out to eth or something
similar that would make Rube Goldberg proud?

Do you have a local dns server in your place that you use for cacheing
or is this going out to your isp or the like?

If you want to take a packet dump of the issue I could see where the
issue is possibly.  you can tweak /etc/resolv.conf to have higher
time-outs.  But I really think it's something else.  That would just be
a work around.  Also make sure your connection is happy, netstat -k
hme0 or the like and take a looksee.  If ya fwd that along I'd to take a
look.  This sorta stuff is a blast to work on.  I love packet dumps :)

It could be as simple as a bad cable and tons of dropped frames.
If it happens for all machines, bad uplink, only one machine, check those one
or two etc.  Look for frame errors..crcs etc in the netstat -k output.

On similar note..only Austin job that's popped up is network eng for
Road Runner...no sys admin duties at all :\

The houston jobop with the e10ks and kit galore is still in the
works...phone interview next week...

I think i'll stage a sit-in at the local sun office and threaten not to
leave until they give me a job.

^D