[rescue] Odd DNS problem with Solaris 8

Patrick Giagnocavo rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Nov 8 16:17:57 CST 2001

On Thu, Nov 08, 2001 at 04:07:52PM -0500, Mike Nicewonger wrote:
> On Thu, 08 Nov 2001, you wrote:
> > > Got a weird one here. I have a Laptop running Solaris 8 that I use as my
> > > upstairs surf and email machine. Almost everytime I surf the web with it I get
> > > this annoying issue, I'll visit a web site page, it loads fine, I'll click on a
> > > link to another page within the same website and I'll get a DNS error, page
> > > cannot be found thing in my browser window. hit refresh, the page comes right
> > > up. this happens about 60% of the time while on any given web site. If I click
> > > a link outside that site the page ALWAYS come up fine.
> >
> > let me guess.  netscape.  you can try turning nscd off, but that hasn't proven
> > itself to be the end all solution to me yet.
> >
> Same silliness on Nutscrape or IE.

I have seen this problem before on the following network:

SGI --> Windows box running PPPOE --> DSL -->Internet

Do you have any rules for packet filtering or anything like that
turned on?

I ended up running a proxy server for HTTP on the Windows box and now
it works fine.

Please don't hate me for running Windows, they use PPPOE AND PPTP and
I haven't figured out what I would need to do to replace it with an
OpenBSD box yet.

./patrick