[rescue] Odd DNS problem with Solaris 8

Mike Nicewonger rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Nov 8 14:45:10 CST 2001

Hi All,

Got a weird one here. I have a Laptop running Solaris 8 that I use as my
upstairs surf and email machine. Almost everytime I surf the web with it I get
this annoying issue, I'll visit a web site page, it loads fine, I'll click on a
link to another page within the same website and I'll get a DNS error, page
cannot be found thing in my browser window. hit refresh, the page comes right
up. this happens about 60% of the time while on any given web site. If I click
a link outside that site the page ALWAYS come up fine.

For example, I'll visit www.foo.com, page loads great, if I click on the link
to www.foo.com/newds/ I get the DNS error 60% of the time. this is very
annoying while I am surfing eBay or one of the message boards for model
airplanes where you spend a lot of time within a specific site.

I have tried using different nameservers, I have checked my nsswitch.conf file
what else may I be missing? The OS is also patched to ~sept 15 or so's patch
level.

TIA

Mike N