[rescue] Red State!!!

Michael S Schiller rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Nov 8 06:37:33 CST 2001

Hi All.

I recently got an Ultra-30 and an Ultra-10, both without CPUs or
memory/disks, etc. I figured this wouldn't be a problem as I had a
250mhz cpu for the u30 already, as well as a 360mhz cpu from my u5 (I
upgraded it to 400mhz a while back). First I thought I'd get the u30
going, so I installed the cpu, memory, and a drive I already had here,
and the machine fired up without a problem. (I'm using it now to write
this email) Next I thought I'd get the u10 going. I plug in the 360mhz
cpu (the model with 512k cache), 256mb of memory I had around here, but
I didn't have a drive other than an old .5gig one, so I figured I'd give

it a try. Well, nothing happened. So I connect up a terminal to the
machine, and I get a bunch of Red State Exceptions! Well, I remember
seeing something about that on one of the lists, so I hunt it down, and
somebody mentioned that they had a bad cpu when they got that message.
Ok I think, I know this cpu was ok when I took it out of the u5, and
I know that Sun didn't offer the u10 with this model cpu, so I'm
thinking that perhaps it's just not compatible with it. The 400mhz cpu I

have in my u5 is really for a u10, so I think I'll pull it out of the u5

and give it a try (my ultimate goal was to transfer the cpu/memory/disk
from my u5 to the u10, then setup the u5 with it's original cpu/mem add
a hd, and sell the machine. Ok, so I open up the u5, remove the cpu,
plug it into the u10, and get the exact same thing!

Now I'm starting to think the u10 might be toast. So I put the 400mhz
cpu back in the u5, close it up, fire it up, and NOTHING! So I pull the
kb, and put a terminal on it, and still NOTHING, no red state
exception, nothing! HELP! Anyone know if I just fried both of my cpu's
with this u10, or is there a fuse I can change on them, or what?

The biggest problem with all this is that I have all my auction info on
the drive in the u5, and I don't have any other IDE based sparc around
:( Hmmm... I'm running Sol7x86 on my PC, is there any chance I can put
the drive into it (as a secondary, I know it won't boot), and be able to

read the drive so I can get my sunpci drive file off of it? (as well as
my email archives, etc.)

Any help would be appreciated!

-Mike