[rescue] Shipping 4 tons

Patrick Giagnocavo rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Nov 7 23:55:30 CST 2001

Big Endian wrote:

> Ok, now that I own 20 crimsons in trust for people I need to bring
> them here.  I've already ruled out a freight company (bax wanted
> $6k+) and if I can I'd like to avoid taking vacation days doing this.
> has anybody ever sent anything with amtrak?  I'm going to get their
> prices in the morning but I want to hear horror stories if it means I
> can avoid wasting my time.
>
> daniel

Hi Daniel,

Sounds like about 2-3x too high.  If it is less than a trailer (sounds
like maybe 1/3rd of a trailer) it should be maybe $2000 to $3000.  Be
sure to get an air-ride trailer, they are much gentler to electronics.

I would very definitely avoid rail freight.  They slam the cars together
going 5mph+ and all the shock gets transmitted to the systems.  I have
seen stuff that arrived by rail freight and it was in pretty bad shape -
makes UPS Ground look good.

Call Yellow Freight or Roadway Express and ask them what the "tariff" is
for a) books, b) electronic parts.  Then hang up and call back to get
rates for both.

They may ask what number of skids, rather than weight, and whether the
skids can be stacked on top of each other, so if you can, find this out
first.

If you really get stuck and can't get good rates anywhere, let me know
and I will have my cousin, who is a freight broker, give me his number.

Cordially

Patrick