[rescue] tape drive with no SCSI

Dave McGuire rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Nov 7 17:55:58 CST 2001

On November 7, George Adkins wrote:
> <joke>
> heh heh, that's funny, a Sun with no SCSI...   hahaha...
> </joke>
> what?
> they make Netras with Ignorant Drive Electronics?
> Crap.

  Yes, it's a little scary, but...check this out.  The Netra X1 is a
400MHz UltraSPARC-IIe in a 1U rackmount chassis with two 10/100
reefernet interfaces, and it ships with 128MB of RAM and a 20GB
[crappy IDE] disk...for $1000.00.  My application is almost entirely
memory-based so the IDE doesn't bother me all that much, aside from
the purism issue.

  That's a LOT of bang for the buck.

  I'm not trying to defend their use of IDE, mind you...but I have to
say I'm less offended by it than I would be if it were a $3000
machine, if you know what I mean. ;)

    -Dave

--
Dave McGuire