[rescue] tape drive with no SCSI

Patrick Giagnocavo rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Nov 7 17:49:04 CST 2001

Dave McGuire wrote:

>   Hey folks.
>
>   I have a need to connect a high-capacity tape drive (DLT perhaps) to a
> Sun that has USB but no SCSI...a Netra X1, specifically.  I would like
> to be able to access it with standard mtio ioctl()s so it'd have to
> show up as an "st" device.  Anybody have any suggestions?
>
>     Thanks,
>      -Dave

I can't think that a) it would work or b) you would be happy even if it
was working.

a) there would need to be some kind of software "shim" to emulate SCSI
protocol over USB

b) USB is theoretical max of roughly 1MB/second.  Even SCSI-1 is
potentially 5x faster.

So if it worked, it would suck; and if it didn't work, it would also
suck.

Can the X1 take one of those Symbios SCSI cards that are about $60?  If
so...

Cordially

Patrick Giagnocavo
patrick at zill.net