[rescue] Looking for UK or Irish computer stores

Gregory Leblanc rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Nov 7 14:57:13 CST 2001

On Wed, 2001-11-07 at 12:40, Chris Byrne wrote:
Sorry, don't know much about UK/IE places to buy things, but they must
be out there.  :)

> It's that time again to build a new intel workstation rig, and I'm
> feeling the urge for some serious video and ram (say 1.5gig of ddr).
>
> I'm also seriously thinking of going with an Athlon MP setup, and my
> good sense is being overidden by my desire to go with a U160 scsi setup.
> And I think it's time for a new monitor as well now that 21 inchers have
> gone into the sane price range.

One of the Tyan boards has onboard Ultra-160 SCSI along with dual
athlons.  It actually comes out to being a good price, if you use all of
the features of the board.  One thing to worry about is that the Athlons
run REALLY hot.  You need a good heatsinc and fan combo, and expect it
to generate a lot more heat than another system would.  I replaced my
K6-2 300MHz with a dual athlon setup.  I also removed a dual UW SCSI
card, 1 IDE hard drive, 2 SCSI hard drives, a SCSI CDrom, a SCSI zip
drive, and a SCSI DDS2 drive when I switched to the dual athlon setup.
The Athlon puts out at least 2x as much heat as the old system did.
It's pretty sickening.
	Greg