[rescue] Wierd problem with Solaris 2.8

Michael C. Vergallen rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Nov 5 21:29:49 CST 2001

On Mon, 5 Nov 2001, Ken Hansen wrote:

> Isn't there a jumper to delay power-up on some drives, typically a multiple
> of the SCSI ID number? Check the jumpers...

I did and no there was not a difference in the jumper settings e.i. both
set the same way. Aldo the DEC Quantum drive was a bit older then the
Generic Drive but still it should not make that mutch diference.
Also I've come across some wierd problem with some so called wide
differential drives... They where labeled as wide differential but they
where actually narrow wide drives. So now does anyone know where to get a
Sbus card to use with wide single ended drives. I recently purchased a
Raid array who uses those drives so that is no problem however I need a
Fibre SBUS card...but I can't find one at a reasonable price...The best
price I've seen them at is 300 USD but that is still quite high. I may get
one if I can't find any less expensive option because my PC based FTP
server died and I would like to use a SS 20 to replace it because a SS20
only costs 160 USD. that is with a M51 cpu and 128 Mb ram and a 1GB boot
disk. That should be good enough for a lightly used ftp server.

> Was there a profound difference?

Yes about 4 to 5 times. On the DEC drive the system took
about 8 a 10 minutes to boot. And on the Generic drive about 2 a 3
minutes. I don't see why.

Michael