[rescue] Cheap PCI Fibre Channel?

David Passmore rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Nov 5 15:12:12 CST 2001

On Mon, Nov 05, 2001 at 03:34:47PM -0500, nick at snowman.net wrote:
> Wait, you can use them as GIG-E addaptors?  HOW!?!?!?  They use the same
> signaling, but wouldn't that require a funky as hell card?

Most fibre channel cards support IP riding on top of the protocol, which is
gigabit speed, but this only works when you have a fibre channel switch or
hub. It may work with direct-connect between two hosts but I've never tried
it. It is certainly not Ethernet and you cannot plug it into a GigE switch
and expect it to function as a GigE card.

The objective behind adding IP support to the fibre channel protocol was so
that your SAN and back-end IP network could be the same physical wiring to
cut down on cost.

David