[rescue] Wooohhhooo KDE on Ultrasparc (Solaris 8)

Steve Sandau rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Nov 2 07:03:57 CST 2001

George Adkins wrote:

> I found a .pkg of KDE 2.2 and am running it under Solaris 8 as I write this
> now...
>
> the Package claims to install under 2.6, 7 and 8
>
> Caveats:
> you have to force Xsun to run 24bit or KDE looks crappy (go figure)
> Installing the package is a little hairy (just a little), it wants a Metric
> Buttload (tm) of /tmp space (it's a 90M .pkg), and it default installs in the
> home of the executing user.  This meant that it tried to install in
> /root/usr/local/kde on me, because I force Solaris to put root's home in
> /root (where it belongs...).  I had to change root's root back to / (root's
> root to root, heh heh, that's funny at 12:30 PM) and install it from a text
> login prompt to get it to go into the right place.
> It had some funky problems untill I got the Solaris Library path problem
> worked out,  you need to have /usr/local/var/ld/ld.config/kde/lib in the library path.  I just
> hard-linked some of the libraries into /usr/lib.  Does anyone know where you
> change solaris' global path and libpath variables at? (no, not for just one
> user at a time, for the whole system...?)

Just looking at that yesterday to get some libs in /usr/local/lib
recognized. Some man page pointed me to the file /var/ld/ld.config (for
32-bit solaris), and that led to crle (program) which appears to add
library directories to the library search path. Says it's an alternative
too manipulating LD_LIBRARY_PATH. However I added my /usr/local/lib (and
/lib and /usr lib to be safe) and the machine couldn't find the libs to
run fsck at reboot. Bummer. More later as I have to figure this out
sometime in the near future if I want to run Bluefish HTML editor...