[SunRescue] OBP coolness

Patrick Giagnocavo rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu May 31 17:01:24 CDT 2001

On Thu, May 31, 2001 at 02:28:49PM -0500, ward at zilla.nu wrote:

> NeXTs can definately turn off, not sure if they can turn on.  I know older

It depends on which system.  I believe the 33Mhz based systems could, but
earlier ones could not.

> powermacs could turn on; coworker would have his fire up at 6:30AM and
> start up all his applications to be waiting for him when he got to work
> at 7.  I haven't tried auto-on on my G4, but I know it powers off (it's
> very ATX-like).

Of course, on a Mac or Windows machine you HAVE to restart it to have any
kind of stability.

Under Unix, you just lock the screen and thats it. Even in the early days of
Linux (1.2.13 and 2.0.x kernels, say RH 5.2) I would use them constantly for
8-10 hours per day, then blank the screen and come in the next morning.
Usually I would run them for 60 days or more between reboots -of course, not
even Linux can help you with uptime when you decide to change the graphics
card :-).

./patrick