[SunRescue] RE: OBP coolness

Ken Hansen rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu May 31 15:20:15 CDT 2001

Many laptops are able to turn themselves on (that just doesn't *sound right* ;^)...

You enter a time into the BIOS and the internal clock triggers the laptop to turn on and boot.

Many Toshiba laptops have a Windows tool to help you set this function without monkeying with the BIOS directly...

The usefullnes of this facility escapes me, except to cause email downlaods to occur at night, when phone rates are lower...

I have seen this in some more modern desktops as well - I guess you could set this to boot the machine at 7:30 AM, since you shut it down the night before (it is running *windows*!)...

Another *amazingly stupid* WIndows tool is the System Agent default setting to do a scandisk at (I think) 9:00 pm on Thursday. Of course, if your laptop is running windows and active, the drive will be changing underneath, so the scan disk restarts. If your computer is idle, but running Windows, the scandisk will restart once Windows updates something on the harddrive (like noting it kicked off the screensaver). ANd if your computer is *off* on Thursday night at 9:00, nothing happens.

So tell me, when would the scan disk actually occur?

Ken