[SunRescue] (no subject)

Bill Knoll rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu May 31 11:54:19 CDT 2001

There are ways. I'm approaching it.
First you have to be running windows 2000, NT or Linux/Unix.
Next you have to have a PCI/FC adapter. Not work on all O. Systems. I got an
Emulex LP6000 and it doesn't appear to work on all Windows 2000 versions.
The Qlogic 2XXX series is supposed to and I have one coming from e-bay. Hope
it does work. The LP6000 locks up the computor.
Copper connection is better than the optical cable as you do not need and
expensive fibre ot DB-9 cable, just get and old serial cable.
Third you need what is called a "T-adapter". It allows you to connect to
that silly 40 pin connector, both power and signal. Bought ones are
expensive. $68.00 from SCSI cables. You can alternately buy the 40 pin plug
and hard wire it yourself. The Segate web site gives you the pin
connections. Most pin are blank and not connected. These drives can be daisy
chained up to 125 drives. You can modify a $29 mid tower cases to hold about
5 or six but you'd have to add more cooling. These drives get hot.
Bill