[SunRescue] Re: expensive paperweights

Brian Hechinger rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu May 31 10:24:26 CDT 2001

> ....and?  I the last time I built a machine *with* a cd or floppy was
> quite a while ago;  although having said that, PCs tend to get cdroms's
> for the 10 minutes it takes to install enough of Debian to http the
> rest.... And Sparcs netboot.
>
> Does anyone *actually* use floppies these days...?  Think `Internet'.

actually, yes.  it was the only way i could manage to get my sparc2 to boot
NetBSD.  for some reason it didn't want to boot off of the net, or tape (didn't
have a CD-ROM burnt to try, and i'm too lazy to make a helper disk *G*) but
it very happily booted off of the floppies.

other than that the last time i used floppies is when my 90MB IDE disk on my
386sx16 went belly up, i made a boot disk with telix on it and used my 386 as
an overpriced "smart" terminal (not that telix is overly smart, but it is small)

-brian