[SunRescue] argh! cisco firmware update failed

Bill Bradford rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu May 31 00:47:20 CDT 2001

Anybody know if there's a way to re-load a firmware image
into a Cisco 1516M 16-port managed hub (aka HP J3188A) if the
update (from the original 1.00 version) failed?  When it went
to TFTP the update, it asked for the IP address of the TFTP server, the
filename to download, then hung, a few seconds later killed
my telnet session.  It was still passing traffic, *until*
I power-cycled it; now I just get a "FAIL" light and it doesent
finish its self-test.

A little too late, I found this:

(http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/10bthubs/hp10base/ol015901.htm)
Problems Resolved in Firmware Release A.01.03
The Trivial File Transfer Protocol (TFTP) command is now in the normal command
set. This change resolves the internal conflict between TFTP and Telnet that
caused TFTP to hang during firmware download, thus corrupting the firmware in
Flash memory.

I'm hoping there's some way I can upload the firmware through a serial
console connection at work tomorrow (gotta get a DB9 serial cable and
nullmodem adapter)...

Would suck to have gotten this in after waiting more than a week for it,
setup MRTG to monitor it, etc, and then have it ruined by a bad firmware
update. 8-(  I was *so* happy to finally have Cisco hardware running my
network here at home.

bill

--
Bill Bradford