[SunRescue] Sun 4/670 problems

Michael Graziano rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu May 31 00:23:43 CDT 2001

Dan Debertin wrote:

> On Wed, 30 May 2001, Michael Graziano wrote:
>
> > I will still sell my first born (or my brother if you can't wait) for
> > some technical manuals or schematics.  I don't know if a FEH exists
> > or if any of you have one, but it would be great if someone does.
>
> Sorry; I figured someone else would respond, and that's probably what
> everyone else was thinking ;). I have a 670 myself, and am enjoying it.
> Does NFS, NIS, mail, and a variety of other household chores for me,
> including acting as a space heater.
The room my computer equipment is in is pretty nearly uninsulated - I
LOVE running all this heat-generating gear during the winter, but now
that summer is here my poor little 7500BTU aircon is crying :)

> I have a manual for the 670MP, as well as for the standard 12-slot VME
> chassis that it comes in, in paper form. I can make copies provided you
> can defray costs a little bit.
I am most certainly interested :) I will mail you privately about this
some time tomorrow (actually this...) afternoon when I'm more awake :)

> There's a FEH online at
> http://lios.apana.org.au/~cdewick/data/feh/1.5/wcd00000/wcd00034.htm
>
> (quite low-bandwidth. Grab a Coke or something while you wait.)
I perused this (as well as the other sites that people sent me - thanks
to all of you, you are truly saints (except in Sun's eyes, then we're
all criminals or accessories :) ).  It looks like I was right with my
guess about those resistors being there to provide termination.  Now I
just need to test them (and the rest of the components).

> So, this brother of yours know how to cook? ;)
The question isn't whether he can or can't cook... It's whether or not
you can eat the charcoal-blackened-foobar he produces when he's
finished.  He is thin enough to wiggle inside the empty 670 chassis
(with the cardcage out) though, so he gets to de-rust and clean that
part.

(Yes my 670 has rust on it.  It was rather unceremoniously moved from
its nice, DRY colocation facility to my house... In the trunk of my car
(1980 BMW, not exactly designed for that kind of hauling)... In
winter...
During a storm.  Needless to say there was quite a bit of salt and sand
scrapes on the steel case even though we plastic-wrapped it.  Remarkably
little rust though, I did good cleaning it up when it first arrived.)

I was actually considering spraypainting the bare steel electric blue
when I finish getting it cleaned up, but I've decided against that
after careful consideration ("Hmm, I know I'll want to repaint it a
different color in about a month if I paint it once... Let's just leave
it as bare steel!").