[SunRescue] RE: Ken's SS/5-170 case...

Ken Hansen rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed May 30 15:50:22 CDT 2001

Mike,

My SS/5-170 (in deed, all the SS/5s *I've* seen - must be nearly six of them ;^) were of the "skinny CD-ROM drive" variety, which would make it an Aurora case, IIRC.

The reason you can only put a 4x drive in it is because that is the fastest available drive in that particular size. There are reports of faster, but they were not designed for this application and appear to be hard to find.

*If* I had an Aurora2 case, I certainly could shove a faster drive inside...

I will map the internal CD-ROM to oldcdrom (thanks for the tip!) and a faster, external drive to cdrom using the openboot prom devalias command (IIRC).

Ken