[SunRescue] Rescued a Model 712/60

Mike Nicewonger rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed May 30 13:51:46 CDT 2001

> I'd recommend nextstep...  that's what my 712/80 is running, and I've been
> happiest there out of HPUX, NeXTstep, and linux...  (though, admittedly,
> I haven't tried linux on it for about a year, and it was not ready for
> prime time when I was playing with/developing on it).  NeXTstep is
> extremely pretty if you are lucky enough to have gotten a 712 with the
> 24bit "artist" graphics (what mine has).

24 bit? I have *never* seen a 24 bit card. I have seen the extra video
memory for the 712's that enables 1600 x 1200 x 8

I have to agree with you the 712 & 715's are a joy to run NeXTStep on :)

> > Can I boot of a PC-SCSI cdrom or Sun CDROM, I have both.
>
> I booted mine with the plextor 4x I use to boot everything.  jumpered to
> 512-byte sectors, *I think*.  don't think it cares which scsi id the cdrom
> is on, just boots with a normal sd() device.

For HP-UX set the CD-ROM to ID2

> > Any thing worth mentioning in general with these machines?
>
> They'd be a nice little RISC workstation if you could get a good OS onto
> one.  (like a linux port that didn't suck).

Agreed. Super nice little Unix boxen.

> > Any easy way to root this box from the console without booting
> > from cdrom or floppy? I guess depending on how old the version of HP-UX
> > is, it might be easier to break in from the network (it does have dhcp
> > enabled :).

There is a FAQ for the HP the means to boot into single user differs between
releases of HP-UX.

try this first:

boot pri isl
isl>hpux -is

If that no workee try this:

hpux-is

Of course if you install NeXTStep you can just blow away what is on the disk
:)

Mike N