[SunRescue] Re: expensive paperweights

jeff borisch rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed May 30 13:01:38 CDT 2001

Dave Reader wrote:

> I also have some seagate narrow drives which get very hot even when
> running in open air. Basically, if it's more than 5400rpm it's safer to
> assume it wants cooling.

If I run the Elite9 with the case top off it *doesn't* get the airflow it
needs. Plus there is the cat with her wet nose. (-:

I have tried to seal all the non intentional sources of air getting in the
case. Taped over the floppy slot. I rarely need it. The bay below the drive
has the bezel removed and there is an 80mm fan blowing on the bottom surface
of the drive. It stays really cool. I figure this will make it last longer.

> It seems that all modern 3.5" scsi drives get far too hot. I'm not sure
> about EIDE stuff as I haven't bought any for .. hmm .. must be a couple of
> years now. Someone at work bought a 75Gb IBM IDE for a box recently, but
> I've no idea how warm it gets.

my not so broad rule of thumb experience tells me:

Wide SCSI, 7200 rpm
Western Digital run real hot. Cheetahs run pretty hot.
IBMs are cool and quiet.

IDE
We replaced the above batch of scsi drives with a mirrored pair of IBM 60GB.
These run pretty cool too.

no one ever got fried buying IBM. (-:

--jeff