[SunRescue] RE:SS/5-170...

Brian Hechinger rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed May 30 12:08:16 CDT 2001

> Can I re-jumper it to be, say, SCSI ID 5 and still use it (like for audio CDs)?

don't bother.  leave it as 6.  it's just "better" that way.

> If I hang a faster CD-ROM off another SCSI controller, is there an easy way to
> boot off of the drive on the second SCSI chain?

very.

one of my favorite things about the rom on these things is that all the devices
live in a tree that you can wander around in using cd and ls.  so wandering
around my ss10's rom device tree, i find that my cd-rom drive on the onboard
controller would be:

/iommu/sbus/espdma at f,400000/esp at f,800000/sd at 6,0:d

and on my second scsi controller would be:

/iommu/sbus/dma at 1,81000/esp at 1,80000/sd at 6,0:d

so all you have to do, is change your cdrom alias in the rom to point to the
second CD-ROM drive and from that point on when you type 'boot cdrom' it will
boot off of the external.  i would recommend an oldcdrom alias or something
similar so it's easy to boot off of the internal if you don't happen to have
the external connected.

> Any pointers to info on a faster internal drive?

see my other post, 4x is fastest in that case.

> And finally, anyone have pointers to a pre-compiled PHP/Apache set of packages
> for Solaris 7? I'd like to get some web info set up *without* the need to
> install a development environment...

i don't know of any off hand, but i'd be willing to whip you up one if you'd
like.

> Ken

-brian