[SunRescue] Re: expensive paperweights

jeff borisch rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed May 30 10:04:29 CDT 2001

Hi Dave,

Dave Reader wrote:

> They run cooler than modern 3.5" drives. Modern 3.5" drives /require/
> forced-air cooling.

Are the new 10K+ drives that hot? I was running a few IBM 9G 7200 rpm drives
and they stayed cool with no special cooling.

The WDs the IBMs replaced were mini fry grills, however. Nasty Nasty Drives.

> IME good quality 5.25" drives easily out-last 3.5" drives.

That is nice to hear, since I'm running one. I also heard these were some of
the first 9GB drives and were engineered for high performance/reliability
applications. Before 9 Gigs became a commodity on its way to an anachronism.

They are only 5400 rpm but the performance on the outer cylinders is more
like a 3.5 in. 7200 rpm. At least that's what They tell me. Seems pretty
fast to me.

-jeff