[SunRescue] Re: expensive paperweights

Matthew Haas rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed May 30 09:09:36 CDT 2001

On Wed, 30 May 2001, Dan Debertin wrote:

> For those of you still buying full-height drives for your dinosaurs,
> everybody seems to be liquidating their supplies of Seagate Elite 9's.
> One example:
> http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=205-4108
>
> $25 for 9GB ... I just bought two and am taking an opportunity to get to
> know DiskSuite. They are remarkably quiet, but very hot.

Good morning all,

 I've also seen these drives going fairly inexpensively, and was
considering purchasing one for use in a PC (external case)... aside from
running hot, would one want to trust a drive like this?

 I am wondering if it would be worth it to build a system with these
drives, would I get decent performance out of them, or should I just
forget it and go with a 3.5" form factor drive?

 For a server I probably wouldn't care as much... but for a personal
computer (and potential college computer), I don't want things to go awry
a couple months into the semester.

 Thanks.

 -    |||       Atari 8-bit!  Star Wars * SPARCbook 3GX * SUMMER!!    -
-     |||      400/800/XL/XE  Battlestar: Galactica * SPARC * Linux    -
- |  | | |  | 2600/5200/7800  NetBSD1.4.2 * StarTrek * Galaga * SCSI   -
 - ||  |  ||     Lynx/Jaguar  Star Raiders * Descent * Voltron * UNIX -