[SunRescue] Re: RE: [SunRescue] Big honkin' laptops...

Brian Dunbar rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed May 30 00:04:34 CDT 2001

>> Crucial/Micron has a 512MB PC100 SDRAM SODIMM for $450ish. I have no idea
>> what would use it. Someone with a bigger expense account at work might
try
>> it and report back. Mmmm, 1gb on a laptop.

>A friend of mine has 1GB in his Powerbook (Wallstreet G3 I believe).  I'll
>ask him how it's configured, but I'm fairly sure it's a pair of 512MB
>SODIMMs.  This won't meet the original posters needs but at least shows
>there's some support for the memory out there.

For any one interested, we're going with the Dell 8000 Inspiron - 1Ghz
processor, 512mb RAM, 32GB hard drive.  They're intended to be
prime/alternate workstations for Printed Circuit Board designers - being
portable should provide us with an edge few competitors can match.  We hope.
(I'm still going to keep their desktop workstations handy while they sort
themselves out.)

The deciding factors were that we already have Dell's Inspiron series in the
house (though not performing that role) and the display - which impressed
the end-users.

I'm pretty sure that our CAD apps (Veribest/Expedition, Allegro and Mentor)
will be more happy with the a full gb of memory than not - I'll investigate,
and I'm pretty sure the ops manager will okay the expense.  We'll make the
money back quickly enough, using the expanded memory.

brian