[SunRescue] Re: RE: [SunRescue] Big honkin' laptops...

Robert Novak rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue May 29 18:42:27 CDT 2001

On Tue, 29 May 2001 chris at chrisbyrne.com wrote:

> I just specced out laptops for my engineers. We decided on IBM Thinkpad
> A21Ps, 850mhz, 512m RAM, and a 15.1" screen, and yes 512m is the most any
> intel based laptop on the market can take.
[and someone else wrote]
> >I think you are limited in RAM on a laptop to 512 Meg *only* becuase that
> >is the densest SoDIMM available.

Crucial/Micron has a 512MB PC100 SDRAM SODIMM for $450ish. I have no idea
what would use it. Someone with a bigger expense account at work might try
it and report back. Mmmm, 1gb on a laptop.

I asked Crucial if they'd tested the 256MB one with the Sony VAIO PCG-F
series (Sony sez max 256MB), and they wrote back telling me why their
production process was so cool. Doh. Viking sez their 256MB module works
with the PCG-F560, and one vendor I found offers a 7-day 0% restocking fee
return privilege on non-defective returns, so I'm tempted to order one to
try it out. Downside is this vendor charges $181, compared to $131 from
Crucial.

Gotta decide between that or a big honkin' compactflash card for my Canon
S100 camera (obPuterStuph: it does not seem to use the S100 bus). Anyone
know of a filesystem benchmark util for Windows, to compare USB to PCMCIA
CF access rates? or even Lexar USB to other USB access rates?

--Rob

        "And it's been a long December and there's reason to believe
           Maybe this year will be better than the last...." -- counting crows