[SunRescue] Second SCSI (diff) not recognized?

Loomis, Rip rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue May 29 16:55:58 CDT 2001

Hmm...
The board is *not* a SunSwift, it's whatever
the other one was before it (DSBC/E ???)
with diff. SCSI plus 10BaseT.  The host
system is a Tatung CompStation 10 (SPARC 10
clone) running Solaris 2.5.1 + wacky
government software (including the TriTeal
Enterprise Desktop version of CDE).

I made a little progress by assuming that
everything I got today (disks, cables, terminators)
was crap.  Interestingly enough, after
switching a couple of things around the
system now sees the *first* disk in the
external chain of two, but not the second...
and if I put the differential terminator
on the first box (and remove the second)
then the first box disappears instead.  I'm
guessing that I've got a wiring problem or
a faulty terminator, so I'll try to dig up
another differential terminator around here.

Right now I can "see" the first drive using
both probe-scsi-all and the Solaris "format"
command--so now I just have to come up with
the magical incantation for these odd IBM
differential disks.

Thanks to all who replied, since your suggestions
(even the ones which duplicated what I was
already checking) kept me interested long enough
to keep beating on the thing until it at least
sort of responded.

  --Rip