[SunRescue] smallest portable vt100?

James Lockwood rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue May 29 16:53:01 CDT 2001

On Tue, 29 May 2001, Gil Young wrote:

> Now that is an excellent idea, say do the duos have one or two serial ports
> on them?  What about provisions for ethernet ports?

One serial port, no provision for onboard ethernet.  I believe that some
of the SCSI/ethernet interfaces sold in their timeframe would work
(unfortunately you can't get SCSI broken out of a Duo without the dock or
hacking some cables).  If you could find an extremely small SCSI/ethernet
converter board you might be able to install it inside the case where the
modem slot is located and run a cable to the internal SCSI bus, that would
be a pretty neat hack.

A Duo 280 still feels surprisingly fast with a 33MHz 68040.  Side by side,
my friends Powerbook 5300 feels much more sluggish even running native
apps.

-James