[SunRescue] Re: rescue digest, Vol 1 #1381 - 14 msgs

Chris Powell rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue May 29 10:22:10 CDT 2001

On Tue, 29 May 2001 13:05:12 +0100, David Murphy wrote:

> Quoting <20010529025429.D19609 at mrbill.net>
> by Bill Bradford <mrbill at mrbill.net>:
>
> > I have a need for a small-as-possible-but-still-decent-keyboard
> > portable computer/handheld/etc capable of functioning as a
> > 9600 baud serial console terminal (VT100 emulation) for a Sun
> > machine, that can run on batteries for two hours or so while driving
> > the serial port.
>
> The smallest practical device I've found practical for this purpose is
> a Psion Series 5 or 5mx:
> http://www.series5mx.com/welcome.html

I use a 5mx very successfully as a VT100 terminal using a program called
'Hermes' (the built in Comms application is no good as it can't send
'break'). Hermes can also talk telnet using the 5mx TCP/IP stack, so
can telnet to a Sun using a serial or mobile-phone PPP session (the
latter is quite funky and has extra geek value).

Chris.