DNS Security (was: RE: [SunRescue] hosts file And DNS files??)

Matthew SAMS rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue May 29 09:14:41 CDT 2001

On Tue, 29 May 2001 02:05:12 -0400 (EDT) woods at weird.com wrote:

> Meanwhile I'll stick to what most of the world uses simply because
> that's in fact the "much simpler solution" in the end!  ;-)

I'm working at a shop that uses unique or heavily customized
implementations of smtp, dns, pop, and radius services. At the
time, ~10 years ago, this gave the company a significant
competitive advantage. Now it's approaching the nightmarish
stage and requires a major refit of these services.

At the previous 'House of the Dark Lord' we migrated from a widely
used and understood sendmail/pop service to a 'carrier-grade'
commercial package. For this one product the vendor has
~250 clients with a total of 145 million mailboxes. Let's
just say we were their smallest client. What I would have
given to just get a copy of their source code so I could
debug problems myself.

All this to say, I will be sticking with standards 'based',
well understood, and widely used software unless there is
a real, compelling, long-term competitive advantage.

-Matthew

--
Always looking for NeXT software and Solbourne OS/MP 4.1C.