[SunRescue] djbdns, BIND, and DNS Security

Joshua D. Boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon May 28 17:51:31 CDT 2001

>From a freedom issue, there isn't anything wrong with your license.
You've probably read RMS's comments on what he calls nuisance clauses
(clause 3), so I won't say anything more than I mostly agree with him, but
I don't let them keep me from using the software.

My big problem with your license is the logistics issue.  For instance,
what happens if I try to combine your code with GPL'ed code (I really like
libreadline, but all programs written with it must be GPL)?  What if
I try to combine it with MPL code? Maybe nothing bad, because I'm sure
your reasonable, but I don't know how much of a prick the Readline guy is.
If you code were straight BSD without any changes, than I could blindly
follow RMS's comments on combining BSD and GPL.

Maybe I'm too much of a pessimist, but clashing licences and any liability
that they might expose me to really worry. (as you could guess, I also
abhore UCITA mainly because it might hold be finacially responsible for
bugs in code I give away for free, or so I've been led to believe).

As to distributing patches, yeah, I think anyone can.  They are a pain
though (because multiple patches might conflict, thus giving birth to
projects like MegaPov and Lame, which were both large patch sets against
software that wasn't friendly to being forked).

--
Joshua Boyd