[SunRescue] Wha-hoo! The Axil is up and productive!

Ken Hansen rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat May 26 15:18:23 CDT 2001

After several go-rounds (like, does anyone know why a Red Hat Linux install
would "stall" during a normal install?), I finally got Solaris 7 to cleanly
install, configured for DNS (I always refer to the SPARCbook Users guide for
the steps involved ;^), installed Netscape 4.51 (IIRC), and am now in the
process of downloading the 43 Meg 7_Recommended.zip patch cluster...

I think I monkied with the OpenBoot PROM on this machine a long time ago, as
I have a drive installed with *no* SCSI-ID jumpers installed, so that makes
it SCSI ID zero, right? Then after I install Solaris I need to type boot
disk0 - I seem to have altered the SCSI probe sequence (or some such
nonsense)... Anyway, once I reboot the machine, I'll make a note to alter
the boot default to disk0 - no biggie.

On this machine, an SS/5-85 "clone" with TGX+ framebuffer and a fast
Barracuda drive, Solaris 7 doesn't feel too bad, once it is up and running.
For now, I am sticking with OpenWindows (right name? not CDE) and an older
Netscape.

I am going to start the patch cluster install and then go away for a few
hours - this is not a speedy process on an SS/5-85 w/80 Meg RAM... 8^(

Ah well, this will be fun...

Thanks everyone for the help getting this little box up and running - I'm
glad I didn't have to write it off...

Ken
(BTW - Anyone have low-cost 36 bit Parity RAM of 16 or 32 Meg density? I
really want more RAM...)