DNS Security (was: RE: [SunRescue] hosts file And DNS files??)

Greg A. Woods rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat May 26 12:24:20 CDT 2001

[ On Saturday, May 26, 2001 at 11:42:13 (+0100), David Cantrell wrote: ]
> Subject: DNS Security (was: RE: [SunRescue] hosts file And DNS files??)
>
> Bad points - it's tricky to run both a DNS server and a caching server
> on the same box.  Especially if you only have one ethernet interface.

That's actually a "good point".  You should never serve authoritative
zones from a caching nameserver (i.e. never point public NS records at
a nameserver that's also a caching nameserver).

This is less of a problem in BIND-9, but still not something I'd advise.

> As the zone files are very different from bind's, then you can't just
> copy them back and forth.

That's a very very very bad point.  The master-file format is defined by
the RFCs.

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <gwoods at acm.org>     <woods at robohack.ca>