DNS Security (was: RE: [SunRescue] hosts file And DNS files??)

Loomis, Rip rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri May 25 14:47:33 CDT 2001

> > The developer of djbdns (Dan Bernstein) is a _total_
> fruitcake. But he
> > writes robust, secure software.
>
> I got him to call me an asshole once.  8-)

There should be an entry on some geek purity test
for:

1.  Know who djb is
2.  Have been directly flamed by djb
3.  Have been directly flamed by Theo DeRaadt

Something like 20% of all Internet users could
probably satisfy either 2 or 3...and if I left
out the "directly" then every one of us could =8-).

I respect Theo's work even more than djb's...but
his "user interface" is if anything even rougher.
Perhaps it's that neither suffers fools gladly
and have different (less sympathetic) definitions
of "fools" than do I.

> I'm waiting for Wietse Venema to write a nameserver to go along
> with Postfix, which I *love*.

Unlikely to happen--Wietse uses BIND and although
I think he'd like to write a nameserver I don't think
that itch is big enough to scratch.  I do wish he
would write an alternative, though...but then again,
I'd rather have him spend more time developing TCT
(The Coroner's Toolkit)...

  --Rip