[SunRescue] djbdns, BIND, and DNS Security

Loomis, Rip rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri May 25 13:55:44 CDT 2001

Greg--
I've stated my opinions about djb, qmail, djbdns,
and related topics on this and other mailing lists
in the past IIRC.  To summarize, while I
respect djb's programming skills, his mode is "it's
my way or the highway".  Specifically, for DNS,
djbdns doesn't implement the standards, but rather
variants of some standards and a subset of the rest.

Same thing for qmail, which is why I use postfix-tls
instead.  (djb's software is much more interoperable
than Microsoft's, but some of the same "we know
better" philosophy/hubris seems to be involved in the
coding.  djb *may* in fact know that much better than
I do, but he hasn't convinced me yet.)

The customer paying for me to work on DNS has been
funding the BIND development (particularly BIND 9
and DNSSEC) for several years...plus I personally
prefer BIND to djbdns.

To each his own--I'm sure that some folks on this list
are using djbdns and others can benefit from it.  I
can't say anything negative about it's security from
a code-writing/bug squashing standpoint--but I
personally only use it for interoperability testing
since it lacks certain features.

Yeah, I looked for a license for djbdns as well and
couldn't find it at cr.yp.to or in the tarball.  AFAIK
its license is similar to qmail, in that it is free
for any use but modified versions may not be distributed.
While I respect his right to prevent buggy derivative
works, it also means that if someone *does* find a bug
they can only distribute a patch and not a binary that
includes that patch.  When supporting customers who
don't have compilers on all their systems, that's another
non-starter (almost as bad as having no license at all.)

As for BIND 8/9--the root servers have started to shift
over to 8.2.4, but none are consistently running BIND 9
yet.  8.2.[34] *should* be reasonably secure for most
folks and it's what our major customers are still running.
However, we've been testing BIND 9 long enough that we're
now running it on low-volume production nameservers and
we're happy with it.  YMMV.

--
Rip Loomis
Brainbench MVP for Internet Security