[SunRescue] RE: UUCP

Ken Hansen rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri May 25 11:56:32 CDT 2001

Glad I wasn't too subtle... ;^)

Ken

-----Original Message-----
<snip>

From: "Hatle, Steven J." <shatle at vue.com>
To: "'rescue at sunhelp.org'" <rescue at sunhelp.org>
Subject: RE: [SunRescue] RE: Bill's Big-Honkin bandwidth!
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 07:10:40 -0500

Hmm,

Why does this sound familiar.  .  . Oh yeah - UUCP networks! <grin> In an
earlier life (and I'm only 37) I could write up the Systems, Devices and
Dialers files from memory for both SCO and AT&T SVR4. The company used to
use UUCP to move data between our central office and 70 remote retail
locations. When we put in our frame relay, everyone realized how much
infrastructure (scripts, file handling, cron jobs, etc) was in place around
UUCP- so to get over the hump, we enabled UUCP over the Ethernet/frame
instead of dial.

It was kind of fun to watch- connection, handshake, file squirt, confirm and
shutdown all in the time it used to take to get the modem connection set up.

Steve

Ken wrote:

Yeah, we could devise some form of store and forward protocol, and maybe a
mechanisim for only forwarding messages when phone rates are low/during
various windows of opportunity, and maybe we could also implement some form
of directory, listing all the sites we share information with.