[SunRescue] hosts file And DNS files??

Paul Sladen rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri May 25 11:05:12 CDT 2001

On Fri, 25 May 2001, Bill Bradford wrote:

> On Fri, May 25, 2001 at 02:20:15AM -0400, Michael S. Schiller wrote:
> > Hi All.
> > I've finally done something I've wanted to do for a long time. That is
> > write DNS files for my local network of 10 machines. Now the silly
> > question is this: Do I leave all the systems listed in the hosts file,
> > or now that DNS works properly for them do I delete all the systems
> > other than localhost and the actual machine's hostname? Is there any
> > advantage to either leaving all the entries in the /etc/hosts file as
> > they are, so that the DNS files and the hosts files would be redundant,
> > or would things work better if I deleted most of the systems out of the
> > /etc/hosts file? Thanks.
> > -Mike
>
> Keep them in there, in case your DNS server craps itself..

put ns, router, proxy in it; and have the rest of th static IPs written
download on paper or in your head, paper is better cos after about 25-30
ips stops `computing' and turns into an operation for the Palm Pilot.

Maintance of hosts files is an N^2 problem and a bastard when you `just
add one'; so rely on DNS for the rest.  Gateway, DNS, and proxy, don't
often change (and hey are probably the same machine eh ;-). <wink/>

Paul
--
h: 0115 922 7162   w: 0115 953 1803