[SunRescue] hosts file And DNS files??

Michael S. Schiller rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri May 25 10:32:19 CDT 2001

How much different from the 'master' file would the 'slave' file be?
What would happen if more than 1 machine were setup as masters?

-Mike

"Loomis, Rip" wrote:

> > > Do I leave all the systems listed in the hosts file,
> > > or now that DNS works properly for them do I delete
> > > all the systems other than localhost and the actual
> > > machine's hostname?
> >
> > Keep them in there, in case your DNS server craps itself..
> >

> Umm...no.  Well, you might be able to get away with
> it for a 10 host network but it doesn't scale well
> above that.
>
> Each system should probably have a stub /etc/hosts
> file that lists itself (both basename and fully-qualified
> name), localhost, and one or two critical systems
> (NFS server, gateway, etc.) just for convenience--but
> if you're now going to maintain DNS as the primary
> up-to-date reference, then the hosts files may start
> having entropy.
>
> The thing to do in case your DNS server craps itself
> is to set up a slave DNS server on a second system
> and get zone transfers running.  It's really not hard
> at all, and removes a single point of failure.
>
> I'll be more than happy to help with the slave's config.
> Anyone who needs basic (or advanced) DNS help please
> feel free to contact me off-list--my more-or-less full
> time job right now is DNS security and administration.
> Needless to say, until we get everybody over to BIND 9,
> the security part alone is keeping me busy...
>
> --
> Rip Loomis
> Brainbench MVP for Internet Security
> http://www.brainbench.com (Transcript 1923411)

*PGP fingerprint= D2 4F A8 B7 13 D5 73 1E  48 99 40 99 F9 BC 74 74 *
*Email: schiller at agrijag.com       \|||/    http://www.agrijag.com *
*Voice: 423-625-6349               (o o)    FAX: 423-623-9054      *