[SunRescue] RE: Bill's Big-Honkin bandwidth!

Michael S. Schiller rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri May 25 10:14:19 CDT 2001

Back in the UUCP days I had a fairly strange email address:
agrijag!mike at draco.nova.edu and what really makes me feel old is that there are
many folks that today wouldn't have a clue what's wrong with it!

-Mike

"Hatle, Steven J." wrote:

> Hmm,
>
> Why does this sound familiar.  .  . Oh yeah - UUCP networks! <grin> In an
> earlier life (and I'm only 37) I could write up the Systems, Devices and
> Dialers files from memory for both SCO and AT&T SVR4. The company used to
> use UUCP to move data between our central office and 70 remote retail
> locations. When we put in our frame relay, everyone realized how much
> infrastructure (scripts, file handling, cron jobs, etc) was in place around
> UUCP- so to get over the hump, we enabled UUCP over the Ethernet/frame
> instead of dial.
>
> It was kind of fun to watch- connection, handshake, file squirt, confirm and
> shutdown all in the time it used to take to get the modem connection set up.
>
> Steve
>
> Ken wrote:
>
> Yeah, we could devise some form of store and forward protocol, and maybe a
> mechanisim for only forwarding messages when phone rates are low/during
> various windows of opportunity, and maybe we could also implement some form
> of directory, listing all the sites we share information with.

*PGP fingerprint= D2 4F A8 B7 13 D5 73 1E  48 99 40 99 F9 BC 74 74 *
*Email: schiller at agrijag.com       \|||/    http://www.agrijag.com *
*Voice: 423-625-6349               (o o)    FAX: 423-623-9054      *