distributed mailing list? (Was Re: [SunRescue] Question...)

Tugrul Galatali rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri May 25 01:35:53 CDT 2001

On Thu, 24 May 2001, Bill Bradford wrote:

> On Thu, May 24, 2001 at 04:44:14PM -0400, Joshua D. Boyd wrote:
> > It wouldn't lessen incoming bandwitdh, but when SunHelp gets a new
> > message, it could pass that message to one of the distributed machines to
> > dispurse.  So, instead of sun help getting 1 message and sending 300
> > (6000000 % 2000, the rough numbers in the table if I remeber correctly),
> > sun help would get one and send one, and my computer would get 1 and send
> > 300, but where my computer only gets every 50th message (meaning I send
> > about 12000 messages a day.

	Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but isn't it closer to 63000 / 2500?
There is a in/out ratio of about 1:25, assuming non-mailing list traffic
constituted a trivial portion of the total. Not quite as dreary as your #s :)

	One of those things I've wanted to do but never got the energy to do
when I was jobless was write a mail server. Clustering seemed like something
fun to implement :) I also had this crazy idea to throw everything into a SQL
server, since there is no point in reinventing a system of storing massive
quantities of data ;)

	If bandwidth ever becomes an issue, I'll be the admin of acm.cs.nyu.edu
for the next two years, drop me a line. Its an icky linux box (icky mainly
because its a early Gateway P][ system), but NYU doesn't care about bandwidth
usage :)

> Neat idea, but I'd prefer to keep everything centralized.  I can always
> turn off the FTP server (SunOS 2/3 images, etc) and cut down on images
> on the web page(s), if necessary, but I dont see needing to just yet.

	There is *that* much demand for the SunOS 2/3 images that they even
factor into being a place to cut down on bandwidth usage? I'd gladly take that
burden off your hands :)

	If I ever meet the people running NYU's network, I'll have to put in a
good word. I don't think we do our fair share for the community given all those
other universities out there at least mirroring community archives. Get some
rack space cozy up against the local E10K (doing mail/portal of all things) :)

	btw, do you have a paypal account... I have a few bucks stuck there
when a guy refunded my money for sending me a CG6 instead of a TurboGX. Seems
appropiate that money should find its way to you :)

	Tugrul Galatali