[SunRescue] 690MP cpu is about equivalent to what other sparc s?

Hatle, Steven J. rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu May 24 09:03:01 CDT 2001

The quick read is a 4/6xx is a "Sparc 10 on a VME board". It takes standard
MBus modules (1 or 2), but takes 30 pin parity SIMMs instead of SS10 DIMMs.
AUI Ethernet and external SCSI are on-board. There are also SBus slots
available for additional cards (though one is blocked if you use the second
MBus CPU-still leaves you three usable).

Runs up to Solaris 2.5.1 stock, you can run 2.6 or 7 with a hack, but you
lose VME support. If you don't need any other VME cards, a happy home for
the card is in a 3/110 or 4/110 chassis, or the 4/x30 chassis is favorite of
mine. I've seen people run one in a 3/60 chassis, but heat would be an
issue, methinks.

If you end up not wanting it, I'll take the CPU card in a minute! This is
one of my favorite Sun setups. I have a 4/630, a 4/670, and the pieces for
one or two more, when I find my next VME case.  .  .

Steve