[SunRescue] Dumb Term

Mike Meredith rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed May 23 15:12:13 CDT 2001

On Wednesday 23 May 2001 01:21, you wrote:
> woods at weird.com writes:
> >Of course the original IRIS-1000 was a SUN variant.....  :-)
>
> Yep.

Wouldn't know about that (but it sounds likely), but they all came out
of the same building.

> >But the IRIS had disks -- the machine I'm thinking of had none, not
> > even provision for one.
>
> I've heard conflicting reports on the 1000 series. The 2000 and 3000s
> definately ran unix off local drives.

I seem to remember (from a very old FAQ) that most of the 1000 series
was diskless (and intended to attach to VAXen as very high-end graphics
terminals), but there was a later option to upgrade them with disks and
an o/s. Possibly the 1500 was the first SGI that ran IRIX out of the
factory.