[SunRescue] Tape drive

Greg A. Woods rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue May 22 11:32:47 CDT 2001

[ On Tuesday, May 22, 2001 at 08:57:47 (-0600), Will Jennings wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [SunRescue] Tape drive
>
> Yep, and I own a DECsystem-2020 even... hehe... But for multics you'd need a
> DPS-8, which is a CPU rack, a tape drive rack, and some big ass disk drives,
> and also a FEP which happens to be a DPS-6..

You could probably use much more modern and smaller drives.  There's a
story on www.multicians.org about connecting DAT tapes to a Multics
(though the way they did it sounded completely stupid to me! ;-)

I remember the weekend at the UofC when the Honeywell guys shut down the
system, backed it up, installed some new chips in the big 14" drives to
give them a variable number of sectors per track, and fired it all back
up again with a whole lot more disk space available!  IIRC it was
something like 3-4 terrabytes after they were done.  That would have
been about 1982 and we were probably running MR-10 or so, so that was an
absolutely stunning astronomical amount of storage space for the time,
especially for a relatively small university!

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <gwoods at acm.org>     <woods at robohack.ca>
Planix, Inc. <woods at planix.com>;   Secrets of the Weird <woods at weird.com>