[SunRescue] Dumb Term

Greg A. Woods rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon May 21 21:23:32 CDT 2001

[ On Monday, May 21, 2001 at 17:11:12 (-0700), James Lockwood wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [SunRescue] Dumb Term
>
> Pet peeve.  I'd classify a 220 as a "smart" terminal, as it supports
> cursor manipulation and some rather sophisticated display management.
> The VT52 and H1000 are much more deserving of the title of "dumb"
> terminal.  "Cookie" based screen control terminals like the TVI925 fall
> somewhere in the middle.

They're all dumb!  By definition -- they don't "boot", i.e. load their
code from some medium such as the network.  The term came about when
"smart" terminals, eg. X11 and some of its early competitors, began
arriving on the scene.  Before that the distinction was between a tty
and a glass tty.  :-)

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <gwoods at acm.org>     <woods at robohack.ca>