[SunRescue] RE: $5 SS/2s

linc rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon May 21 12:28:19 CDT 2001

On Mon, 21 May 2001, Ken Hansen wrote:

> Well, I am being retorical, but if you want to consider the real cost of a replacement NVRAM, it is the cost of the chip, the S/H to get it (or the gas/time to pick it up), and the downtime waiting. Oh, and make sure you get just the right speed, there have been some problems with faster than expected chips, IIRC.
>
> So, take all that, and you are *approaching* a $20 repair, with $0 charge for installation, IMHO.
>
> Now, SS/2, IPX, etc... systems have a value of somewhere between $0 and $20 without RAM, HD, etc. While half the price was an exageration, the *spirit* of the statement stands.
>
> The value of an SS/2 (in real folding money) is inversely proportional to the buyers amount of experience with these boxes, IMHO. I believe Dave McGuire quoted tham as being about $30-40 w/RAM, HD, etc. a while ago.
>
> How much money would you pull out of your wallet for an SS/2? (again, retorical, please don't bombard the maillist with SS/2 war stories)...
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ken

This is very true, but it depends upon how *mission critical* the sparc
is.  But then again, even if it is mission critical at $5 a piece you can
always have a spare pre-configured to take up the slack if need be
right? :-)

-Linc.

--
  1:26pm  up 33 days,  1:24,  4 users,  load average: 2.37, 1.98, 1.49