[SunRescue] Confused SS5 booting -- drive ID?

BSD Bob the old greybeard BSD freak rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon May 21 11:56:03 CDT 2001

> Bob--
> At the EEPROM prompt, use "probe-scsi" (or
> probe-scsi-all on laterer OBP versions or
> with multiple SCSI controller cards) to
> verify which disks have which targets.

It is telling me target 1 and target 3 for the top and bottom bay,
even though I hardwared ID's to 0 and 1.

> Yes, the 5/20 backplane does automagically
> configure SCSI IDs--in fact, many SCA drives
> don't even *have* the SCSI id jumpers, since
> that's one of the things that SCA is supposed
> to do for you.  On my system here, it appears
> (from the command line without dropping out
> to OBP) that the bottom disk gets ID=3 and
> the top disk gets ID=1, which is consistent
> with the two internal disks in a SPARC 10.

Yep.  WRETCH!  What a friggin' pile o' worms.
Why is it Sun wants me to do it ITS way rather than
let me do it MY way.  I am forever pulling what little
hair I have out, by the roots.

Is there a way around that, or does it require I only
use external drives to get around that?

Oh, well.

Thanks

Bob