[SunRescue] (no subject)

Ken Hansen rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon May 21 10:49:30 CDT 2001

IIRC, the reason has to do withthe first batch of drives sun sealed inside the workstation on the assembly line - they had *no* jumpers installed,and when the first systems were tested with the final software release, the *problem* was found.

It is retained for historical purposes, but the short version is, as above, IIRC.

I may be off, but I don't think I am too far off.

boot disk maps to the default boot drive, disk3, which is *typically* mapped to the drive with SCSI ID #0.

Boot disk0 maps to the physical drive with the SCSI ID #3.

boot disk1 maps to the drive with SCSI ID #1.

boot disk2 maps to the drive with SCSI ID #2, etc.

Now, Linux, on the other hand, refers to drives by number, so if you have a drive with SCSI ID #0, then add a drive with a SCSI ID of #1, your system will not boot - because Linux numbers them from lowest to highest. What used to be sda (SCSI ID #0, viewed as #3 by Linux), becomes sdb, when a lower SCSI ID drive is added (SCSI ID #1 is *lower* than SCSI ID #0 ;^)...

See, Solaris is better! ;^)

Ken